Many workers these days are literally working themselves to death. Whether they are trying to advance in their jobs or workaholics they are destroying their mental and physical health.
Are you experiencing any of these behaviors?
- Working more than 50 hours a week
- Living off energy drinks and caffeine
- Worrying about work day and night
- Not sleeping
- Friends, family co-workers tell you that you are working too long and too much
There are enumerable studies showing the health risks of workaholics. Working too much has been associated with high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, insomnia, depression, anxiety, unhappy marriages, divorces and can accelerate your aging.
Tips to save your life. You can experience happiness, health and peace in your life.
1. Your health. Focus on your health. Do you want to jeopardize your mental and physical health that is the source of your happiness in life? Keep a journal of how you feel mentally and physically each day. Just as you keep a daily work schedule write down how you feel during your day so you can track your health.
2. Boundaries. Create a written schedule and stick to it. Write down the hours you will work each day or hours you will be in the office. Make a commitment not to work at night. At times if you must to work some nights set a timer to stop on time. This will be very difficult for you in the beginning because you have had no restraints on your work mania. Just know it will be very challenging the first month but eventually you will feel more in control of your life.
3. Buddy system. You need to amass at least one person or a team of people to be accountable to for your work schedule. It may be a coworker, friend or family member that you check in with each day to tell them how you are doing in this process and to track your progress. You are no longer a lone wolf but are connecting with someone who cares about you.
4. Sleep. Establish a sleep ritual. Go to bed at the same time each night. Make sure your bedroom is dark, cool and your technology is turned off. You may have trouble sleeping with your busy mind. There are apps you can download for meditation, guided imagery or sleep that are very effective and in time they may become your best friends.
5. Workaholics anonymous. Check out this site for support and more valuable information on how to manage work. There is great information for you, family members and coworkers.