It’s a Bad Idea to Eat on Your Office Desk
It’s a bad idea physically and psychologically to have a desk lunch at your job. A survey from the American Dietetic Association finds that 75 percent of office workers eat lunch at their desks as often as two or three times a week. Here are a few mindful lunch ideas that can change your life.
Reasons why a desk lunch is a bad idea:
- Your desk is nasty. According to British microbiologist James Francis, four of 33 keyboards he tested positive for potential health hazards, and one had germs at a level five times higher than that found on the toilet seat.
- No exercise. You’re not getting any physical activity which gives you energy, burns calories, makes you stronger and makes you more productive and creative.
- You aren’t getting outside! Sunshine stimulates your body to produce vitamin D. It is also important for the production of a calming, feel-good chemical called serotonin.
- Unhealthy food. Many people order takeout food and end up mindlessly eating. This leads to overeating because you aren’t focused on when your body is telling you to stop. You also experience the lack of the joy and sensuous taste and texture of food when you don’t eat mindfully.
Enjoy a mindful lunch that will literally change your life:
- Community. Research continues to tell us that when we are with other people we produce more healing, relaxing, healthy hormones such as serotonin and oxytocin. Go to lunch with co-workers. As you walk or drive to the restaurant, enjoy conversation, laughter and sharing.
- Exercise. Choose a restaurant that is at least 10 minutes away from your office. This gives you a 10 minute walk to the restaurant and 10 minutes back. Yipee, you just squeezed in your mid-day workout and exercised for 20 minutes.
- Ecotherapy. Research tells us when we get outside in nature our stress and depression is reduced and we increase our energy, productivity and creativity. Your body requires Vitamin D for health and you get a Vitamin D burst plus the wonderful healing, relaxing hormone serotonin when you are out in the sun.
- Fresh food. Choose a restaurant that has healthy delicious food. Learn the superfoods and incorporate them into your daily lunches. Keep this Mindful Mantra in mind: Food changes your mood and food is medicine.