It’s fall and Mother Nature is beckoning you to get outside and join her majesty today.
Ecotherapy is about getting outdoors and becoming active in a natural environment as a way of boosting mental and physical health. Studies reported decreased levels of depression after a walk in nature. Individuals said they felt less tense after a walk in nature, 90 percent said their self-esteem increased after a walk in nature, and 88 percent of people reported feeling improved mood after their walk in nature.
4 Ways Our Moods Change When We are in Nature
- Connection. We make nature and social connections with animals, trees, clouds and our surroundings.
- Sensory stimulation. Colors, sounds, fresh air, and wind, all stimulate our senses.
- Activity. When we are walking and in motion it makes us produce healing, energizing chemicals such as endorphins and serotonin.
- Escape from our busy lives. We are reflecting, thinking and coming home to our self and this de-stresses and nourishes us.
How to Incorporate “Ecotherapy” into Your Life
- Take a walk in nature during your lunch.
- Listen to nature sounds on a nature sound disk or machine a couple of times a week at work.
- Keep photos of you in nature around your office to remind you of how you love to connect with nature.
- Keep a plant in your office.
- Keep a small aquarium in your office with a couple of fish.